500,000 centenarians in Britain by 2066: study
Sunday 07 August 2011
British 20-year-olds are twice as likely to reach their 100th birthdays as their parents, threatening a crisis in public provision of health and welfare for the elderly, official figures showed Thursday.
A Department for Work and Pensions study stated that babies born this year will be 50 times more likely to become centenarians than babies born 100 years ago.
Pensions Minister Steve Webb said: "These figures show just how great the differences in life expectancy between generations really are.
"The dramatic speed at which life expectancy is changing means that we need to radically rethink our perceptions about our later lives."
The report also predicted that there would be around 500,000 people aged over 100 by 2066 as diets, living standards and health care continue to improve.
"We simply can't look to our grandparents' experience of retirement as a model for our own," added Webb.
"We will live longer and we will have to save more."
Life & Style blogs
Gill Pharaoh: Healthy nurse who killed herself in a Swiss clinic accused of doing it for 'publicity'
Five ways to boost your Vitamin D levels
Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Apple bug Thunderstrike 2 leaves Macs vulnerable to worm, could give hackers control of computers and go entirely undetected
- 1 Malaysia issues arrest warrant for Gordon Brown’s sister-in-law after she publishes stories on leader Najib Razak's financial affairs
- 2 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 3 Natalia Molchanova: World's most successful free-diver missing and feared dead after disappearing in Mediterranean
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity working ...
£33000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The prime focus of the role is to assist...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment C...
£17000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly growing company is...