Easyjet founder says to open budget gyms
Saturday 04 September 2010
British tycoon Stelios Haji-Ioannou, the founder of no-frills airline easyJet, said Wednesday that he planned to open budget gyms across Europe by taking advantage of low property prices.
Stelios said that his private investment vehicle easyGroup would start a new venture, easyGym, in partnership with private-equity backed Fore Fitness.
"Together with Fore Fitness and their investors we will aim to offer value for money in this sector," Stelios said in a statement.
Membership would cost about 15 pounds (18 euros, 23 dollars) a month and users would be able to sign up for monthly contracts as opposed to agreements that tie them down for at least one year.
The first easyGym was expected to open early next year, while the brand would shun swimming pools and saunas.
"This is not the first time the idea of a gym chain came up, but the stars are aligned now, because the real estate market is so soft," Stelios added.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eculizumab: 'The £10m-per-patient NHS drug gave me my life back’
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This award-winning digital publishing solution...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: NON-CONTENTIOUS (0-2 PQE) - A rare opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Financial Analyst is required to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the South West'...