The 10 Best running events
Not quite up to this month’s London Marathon? Try one of the shorter – or sillier – races in our selection
1. Isle of Man half marathon, 22 July
There is a lot for the semi-serious runner to get their teeth into. Lovely views, plus it's not too vast.
2. Great Gorilla Run, London, 22 September
In this four-mile jog, all runners wear gorilla costumes. It's raised £1m for endangered gorillas.
3. Sumo Run, London, 23 June
In this three-mile charity yomp around Battersea Park, runners wear inflatable sumo suits.
4. Torbay Half, Devon, 24 June
If coastal running is your thing, check out this two-lapper which covers Paignton and Torbay.
5. The Indian Queens Half, Cornwall, 5 August
A small, low-key race at Indian Queens, two miles from Newquay. Probably not for the faint of foot.
6. Barbury Castle Ramparts, Wiltshire, 5 July
Not as perilous as it sounds, but it's undulating, so this five-mile race is good for off-road runners.
7. Bennachie Hill, Aberdeenshire, 7 October
One of the best hill races north of the border, although this 8.3 mile run can be a bit of a monster.
8. Rock 'n' Roll Half, Edinburgh, 15 April
As much about dancing as running, as bands entertain the racers at one-mile points.
9. Bupa Great Manchester Run, 20 May
Bupa's Great Run comes to Manchester in May with a 10km course winding through the city.
10. Race for Life – various locations and dates
Walk, jog or run one of the women-only 5km-courses organised by Cancer Research UK.
Life & Style blogs
Ebola outbreak: Why has a disease that's only ever killed 2,000 people captivated the darkest side of our imagination?
Ebola virus: UK health officials issue warning to doctors as experts admit the outbreak 'is not under control'
National Orgasm Day: Don't get caught up on climaxing
Watch: Vogue Italia's plus-size models in fetish-inspired lingerie shoot
Ebola: UK is ready to deal with outbreak, says Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
- < Previous
- Next >
£9 Per Hour: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Warrington a...
Unpaid Voluntary Work : Cancer Research UK: We need motivational volunteers to...
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Accounts Assistant (Accounts Payable...
£200 - £300 per day: Ashdown Group: IT Trainer - Marlow, Buckinghamshire - £25...