The 10 Best running events
Not quite up to this month’s London Marathon? Try one of the shorter – or sillier – races in our selection
1. Isle of Man half marathon, 22 July
There is a lot for the semi-serious runner to get their teeth into. Lovely views, plus it's not too vast.
2. Great Gorilla Run, London, 22 September
In this four-mile jog, all runners wear gorilla costumes. It's raised £1m for endangered gorillas.
3. Sumo Run, London, 23 June
In this three-mile charity yomp around Battersea Park, runners wear inflatable sumo suits.
4. Torbay Half, Devon, 24 June
If coastal running is your thing, check out this two-lapper which covers Paignton and Torbay.
5. The Indian Queens Half, Cornwall, 5 August
A small, low-key race at Indian Queens, two miles from Newquay. Probably not for the faint of foot.
6. Barbury Castle Ramparts, Wiltshire, 5 July
Not as perilous as it sounds, but it's undulating, so this five-mile race is good for off-road runners.
7. Bennachie Hill, Aberdeenshire, 7 October
One of the best hill races north of the border, although this 8.3 mile run can be a bit of a monster.
8. Rock 'n' Roll Half, Edinburgh, 15 April
As much about dancing as running, as bands entertain the racers at one-mile points.
9. Bupa Great Manchester Run, 20 May
Bupa's Great Run comes to Manchester in May with a 10km course winding through the city.
10. Race for Life – various locations and dates
Walk, jog or run one of the women-only 5km-courses organised by Cancer Research UK.
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
NFL fans were so loud during a match that their celebrations registered as a minor earthquake
Tyre firm aimed to show how their tyres would perform in ‘unexpected’ conditions
Life & Style blogs
The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
The 50 Best Christmas Gifts for Women
PS4 beats Xbox One to become UK’s fastest ever selling console
UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
Tippy the Fainting Squirrel becomes YouTube star as video of cute collapsing rodent goes viral
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do
£50000 - £70000 per annum + London: Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA Eng...
£35000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: SQL 2008 R2/2012 Deve...
£38000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Creative Audit Se...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer (TSQL, P...