The 10 Best running events
Not quite up to this month’s London Marathon? Try one of the shorter – or sillier – races in our selection
1. Isle of Man half marathon, 22 July
There is a lot for the semi-serious runner to get their teeth into. Lovely views, plus it's not too vast.
2. Great Gorilla Run, London, 22 September
In this four-mile jog, all runners wear gorilla costumes. It's raised £1m for endangered gorillas.
3. Sumo Run, London, 23 June
In this three-mile charity yomp around Battersea Park, runners wear inflatable sumo suits.
4. Torbay Half, Devon, 24 June
If coastal running is your thing, check out this two-lapper which covers Paignton and Torbay.
5. The Indian Queens Half, Cornwall, 5 August
A small, low-key race at Indian Queens, two miles from Newquay. Probably not for the faint of foot.
6. Barbury Castle Ramparts, Wiltshire, 5 July
Not as perilous as it sounds, but it's undulating, so this five-mile race is good for off-road runners.
7. Bennachie Hill, Aberdeenshire, 7 October
One of the best hill races north of the border, although this 8.3 mile run can be a bit of a monster.
8. Rock 'n' Roll Half, Edinburgh, 15 April
As much about dancing as running, as bands entertain the racers at one-mile points.
9. Bupa Great Manchester Run, 20 May
Bupa's Great Run comes to Manchester in May with a 10km course winding through the city.
10. Race for Life – various locations and dates
Walk, jog or run one of the women-only 5km-courses organised by Cancer Research UK.
Life & Style blogs
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
From Topshop to Burberry, London Fashion Week spring/summer 2015: Distraction could not disguise a distinct lack of focus
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No new blood and no fresh ideas at Milan Fashion Week: How do you solve a problem like Milano?
- 1 Rihanna 'nude photos' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 3 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
£100 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Foundation and Key Stage 1...
£100 - £110 per day: Randstad Education Group: Temporary Teacher of GEOGRAPHY ...
£12000 - £24000 per annum: Randstad Education Manchester Secondary: Are you a ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Group: Nursery Assistants RequiredNursery Assis...