The 10 Best running events
Not quite up to this month’s London Marathon? Try one of the shorter – or sillier – races in our selection
1. Isle of Man half marathon, 22 July
There is a lot for the semi-serious runner to get their teeth into. Lovely views, plus it's not too vast.
2. Great Gorilla Run, London, 22 September
In this four-mile jog, all runners wear gorilla costumes. It's raised £1m for endangered gorillas.
3. Sumo Run, London, 23 June
In this three-mile charity yomp around Battersea Park, runners wear inflatable sumo suits.
4. Torbay Half, Devon, 24 June
If coastal running is your thing, check out this two-lapper which covers Paignton and Torbay.
5. The Indian Queens Half, Cornwall, 5 August
A small, low-key race at Indian Queens, two miles from Newquay. Probably not for the faint of foot.
6. Barbury Castle Ramparts, Wiltshire, 5 July
Not as perilous as it sounds, but it's undulating, so this five-mile race is good for off-road runners.
7. Bennachie Hill, Aberdeenshire, 7 October
One of the best hill races north of the border, although this 8.3 mile run can be a bit of a monster.
8. Rock 'n' Roll Half, Edinburgh, 15 April
As much about dancing as running, as bands entertain the racers at one-mile points.
9. Bupa Great Manchester Run, 20 May
Bupa's Great Run comes to Manchester in May with a 10km course winding through the city.
10. Race for Life – various locations and dates
Walk, jog or run one of the women-only 5km-courses organised by Cancer Research UK.
Life & Style blogs
Men in tights: getting to the bottom of the latest trend
City traders pay £200 for a quick hangover cure
Stephen Hawking: NHS is Britain's finest public service and must be preserved from commercial interests
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cancer treatment to her scientist father over the dinner table
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: PMLD Teacher A specialist primary school i...
£15000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Now our rapidly expanding and A...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you passionate about great ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing reinforcing s...