Foods trigger specific brain functions and drug-like reactions
Wednesday 15 September 2010
Gary L. Wenk, PhD, a professor of psychology at Ohio State University and author, discusses how food acts like a drug for your brain in the September 13 online neuroscience section of the original science content magazine
"The distinction between what is considered a food (something that your body wants or needs in order to function optimally) or a drug (something that your brain wants or needs in order to function optimally) is becoming increasingly difficult to define," explained Wenk.
Here are some gut-brain reactions that might inform your menu planning adapted from Wenk's article.
- Potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplants help with memory formation.
- Fava beans can make you feel a bit better.
- Milk, eggs, cheese, spinach, mushrooms, pumpkin, and various fish and grains can make you feel no pain and trigger "morphine-like chemicals" in the brain.
- Dairy products make babies euphoric.
- Overdoing it with nutmeg could make you hallucinate.
The brain health site BrainReady.com recommends eating these six foods regularly to keep your brain fit: wild salmon, minimally processed cacao beans, matcha (green tea powder), acai berries, blueberries and coffee.
For more on gut-brain reactions, you might want to get a copy of Wenk's book Your Brain on Food: How Chemicals Control Your Thoughts and Feelings ($29.95/€23) published in July.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Boxing Day sales: From Asos to Harrods, the best fashion deals
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
- 2 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 3 Andy Murray takes to Twitter to show off his Christmas jumper
- 4 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...