Foods trigger specific brain functions and drug-like reactions
Wednesday 15 September 2010
Gary L. Wenk, PhD, a professor of psychology at Ohio State University and author, discusses how food acts like a drug for your brain in the September 13 online neuroscience section of the original science content magazine
"The distinction between what is considered a food (something that your body wants or needs in order to function optimally) or a drug (something that your brain wants or needs in order to function optimally) is becoming increasingly difficult to define," explained Wenk.
Here are some gut-brain reactions that might inform your menu planning adapted from Wenk's article.
- Potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplants help with memory formation.
- Fava beans can make you feel a bit better.
- Milk, eggs, cheese, spinach, mushrooms, pumpkin, and various fish and grains can make you feel no pain and trigger "morphine-like chemicals" in the brain.
- Dairy products make babies euphoric.
- Overdoing it with nutmeg could make you hallucinate.
The brain health site BrainReady.com recommends eating these six foods regularly to keep your brain fit: wild salmon, minimally processed cacao beans, matcha (green tea powder), acai berries, blueberries and coffee.
For more on gut-brain reactions, you might want to get a copy of Wenk's book Your Brain on Food: How Chemicals Control Your Thoughts and Feelings ($29.95/€23) published in July.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Scheme Manager (BREEAM)...
Flexible, depending on experience: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: T...
£850 - £950 per day: Orgtel: Programme Director - Conduct Risk - Banking - £85...
£100 - £110 per day: Orgtel: Project Coordinator/Order Entry Hampshire