Memory loss: Will sage oil help?
Tuesday 08 April 2008
I am trying to take sage oil capsules as a treatment for memory loss. The capsules are 50mg, but they do not come with any recommendation about what the correct dose is. Will sage oil help memory loss?
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
In 2003, scientists at Newcastle University found that sage had a beneficial effect on memory. They used capsules that contained 50 microlitres of sage extract in sunflower oil. Have a look at the label on your capsules to get a dose similar to this. A few patients may develop raised blood pressure when taking sage, so if you have high blood pressure, avoid sage.
Please send your questions and suggestions to A Question of Health, 'The Independent', Independent House, 191 Marsh Wall, London E14 9RS; fax 020-7005 2182 or e-mail to email@example.com. Dr Kavalier regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions.
Life & Style blogs
Charlie Charlie Challenge: everyone on the internet thinks it’s a marketing stunt, but it probably isn’t
Big knickers are back: Thongs ain't what they used to be
Woman jailed for making 'loud sex noises'
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
The big NHS question: Why are there so few new GPs when so many of our keenest brains want to study medicine?
- 1 Man on naked bike ride gets ejected after becoming aroused
- 2 Charles Kennedy dead: Former Lib Dem leader dies at home aged 55 - latest news
- 3 Ayyan Ali: Pakistan's top model now appears in the courtroom rather than on the catwalk
- 4 Fifa corruption: Europe plots to stage an 'alternative World Cup' in place of Russia 2018
- 5 Jaden Smith wears gender fluid dress to high school prom with Hunger Games actress
£100000 - £125000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As a top tier supplier to the...
£17100 - £22900 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the North West's leading...
£20000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an intermediate help de...
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This long established manufactu...