Separation anxiety disorder. Is there a cure?
Tuesday 11 December 2007
I suspect that I suffer from separation anxiety disorder. Is there any way I can cure myself of the continuous and suffocating fear of being alone?
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
Separation anxiety disorder is a specific psychiatric condition that causes children to suffer excessive anxiety about being separated from their home or from people to whom they feel attached. Children who have the condition won't go to school, and are often excessively fearful about getting lost, or of losing a loved one. They can have nightmares about separation, and physical symptoms such as nausea, headaches and vomiting when they think about being separated. By definition, the condition starts in childhood or in the teenage years. If you are now an adult, the problem will probably have started when you were younger. A fear of being alone is not necessarily separation anxiety disorder it may be a symptom of other mental-health problems. You need to have a full psychiatric assessment. Make contact with your local community mental-health team, via your GP, and ask for help. There are a variety of treatments that may be able to help you, including cognitive behavioural therapy.
Please mail your questions for Dr Fred to email@example.com. He regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions
Life & Style blogs
Revenge porn: What is it – and how big is the problem?
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Paris Fashion Week: Karl Lagerfeld leads a feminist riot on 'Boulevard Chanel'
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
Windows 10 release: Microsoft bypasses 'Windows 9' with new operating system
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- < Previous
- Next >
£120 - £125 per day: Randstad Education Luton: Currently looking for teachers ...
£50 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN Teaching Assistant EBD , Septemb...
£400 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client are currently seekin...
£121 - £142 per day: Randstad Education Luton: Early Years, KS1 & 2 Prima...