Separation anxiety disorder. Is there a cure?
Tuesday 11 December 2007
I suspect that I suffer from separation anxiety disorder. Is there any way I can cure myself of the continuous and suffocating fear of being alone?
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
Separation anxiety disorder is a specific psychiatric condition that causes children to suffer excessive anxiety about being separated from their home or from people to whom they feel attached. Children who have the condition won't go to school, and are often excessively fearful about getting lost, or of losing a loved one. They can have nightmares about separation, and physical symptoms such as nausea, headaches and vomiting when they think about being separated. By definition, the condition starts in childhood or in the teenage years. If you are now an adult, the problem will probably have started when you were younger. A fear of being alone is not necessarily separation anxiety disorder it may be a symptom of other mental-health problems. You need to have a full psychiatric assessment. Make contact with your local community mental-health team, via your GP, and ask for help. There are a variety of treatments that may be able to help you, including cognitive behavioural therapy.
Please mail your questions for Dr Fred to email@example.com. He regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...