15% of patients dissatisfied with level of emotional support provided in hospital
Tuesday 16 April 2013
Three in every 20 patients do not feel as though they get enough emotional support while they are in hospital, figures suggest.
A survey of more than 60,000 patients treated in NHS hospitals in England found that 15% did not believe they were given enough support from staff.
But only 3% said they were not treated with respect and dignity.
The Care Quality Commission said that its 2012 inpatient survey showed improvement in many areas including "cleanliness and relationships with doctors and nurses".
But the poll found that almost a quarter of patients said their doctors talked in front of them as if they were not there.
One in five said they were not given enough information about their condition or treatment.
Patients also raised concerns that there were not enough nurses in hospitals, with one in 10 saying there were not enough on duty while they were being treated.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 will function as 'mobile wallet' following Apple deal with Visa - reports
Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
Is Apple's iCloud safe after leak of Jennifer Lawrence and other celebrities' nude photos?
Three quarters of the Ikea catalogue is CGI
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Nigerian witch-finder Helen Ukpabio threatens legal action against human rights organisations
£65000 - £70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: One of the global leaders in fina...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Sheffield: Deputy Education Manager (permanent ...
£6720 - £33600 per annum: Randstad Education Nottingham: We are currently recr...
£120 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Group: We are looking for an outstandi...