300 under-11s in A&E over alcohol abuse
Monday 30 September 2013
Nearly 300 children aged 11 or under attended UK accident and emergency departments last year after drinking too much, according to new figures.
More than 6,500 under-18s were admitted to A&E departments in 2012/13 with alcohol-related conditions, of whom 293 were 11 years old or younger.
The figures, obtained after a Freedom of Information request by the Victoria Derbyshire programme on BBC Radio 5 Live, showed that there were 30 cases of children aged 11 or under staying overnight in hospital with an alcohol-related illness during the same period.
Girls in the 12 to 14 and 15 to 17 age groups outnumbered boys for attendances at accident and emergency departments for alcohol-related conditions in 2012/13. Boys outnumbered girls in the category of 11 and under.
Overall the number of attendances at A&E for under-18s with alcohol-related conditions fell from 7,821 in 2011/12 to 6,580 in 2012/13.
The findings come from information released by 125 of the UK's 189 NHS trust and health boards.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
- 1 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 The Gaza fisherman who built his own reef - and was shot dead there by an Israeli gunboat
£35000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen withi...
£13676.46 - £15864.28 per annum + Uncapped Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Re...
£13000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Every day they get another 1000...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of refrigeration, mechan...