300 under-11s in A&E over alcohol abuse
Monday 30 September 2013
Nearly 300 children aged 11 or under attended UK accident and emergency departments last year after drinking too much, according to new figures.
More than 6,500 under-18s were admitted to A&E departments in 2012/13 with alcohol-related conditions, of whom 293 were 11 years old or younger.
The figures, obtained after a Freedom of Information request by the Victoria Derbyshire programme on BBC Radio 5 Live, showed that there were 30 cases of children aged 11 or under staying overnight in hospital with an alcohol-related illness during the same period.
Girls in the 12 to 14 and 15 to 17 age groups outnumbered boys for attendances at accident and emergency departments for alcohol-related conditions in 2012/13. Boys outnumbered girls in the category of 11 and under.
Overall the number of attendances at A&E for under-18s with alcohol-related conditions fell from 7,821 in 2011/12 to 6,580 in 2012/13.
The findings come from information released by 125 of the UK's 189 NHS trust and health boards.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Star Wars BB-8 droid toy is real, should be impossible
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
£25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The IT Support Engineer is needed to ass...
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: It's an exciting time for this ...
£22000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...