Ambulance cuts 'will affect the front line'
Tuesday 19 April 2011
A leading union representing paramedics warned yesterday that the closure of ambulance stations to meet NHS cost-cutting would inevitably have an impact on frontline services and staff. Simon Jones of the Association of Professional Ambulance Personnel said a review under way in Greater Manchester, which has left the future of half the region's stations in doubt, could result in crews spending more time travelling to restock drugs and medical equipment or taking breaks.
He said: "We don't agree with spending cuts but if you are going to do it, it should be done in a proportionate way. It is not proportionate to cut ambulance stations and such premises."
The North West Ambulance Service is considering a scheme to close, merge, relocate or repair 17 of its 35 stations, part of an effort to save £10m a year over the next three years from a £250m budget.
Life & Style blogs
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
- 1 Reyhaneh Jabbari: Iran due to execute woman for murder of her alleged attempted rapist
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 5 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- < Previous
- Next >
£21000 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Secondary teachers re...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A highly successfully con...
£23000 - £25000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An established and highly...
£60000 - £75000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: This is a busy and varied role w...