Ambulance cuts 'will affect the front line'
Tuesday 19 April 2011
A leading union representing paramedics warned yesterday that the closure of ambulance stations to meet NHS cost-cutting would inevitably have an impact on frontline services and staff. Simon Jones of the Association of Professional Ambulance Personnel said a review under way in Greater Manchester, which has left the future of half the region's stations in doubt, could result in crews spending more time travelling to restock drugs and medical equipment or taking breaks.
He said: "We don't agree with spending cuts but if you are going to do it, it should be done in a proportionate way. It is not proportionate to cut ambulance stations and such premises."
The North West Ambulance Service is considering a scheme to close, merge, relocate or repair 17 of its 35 stations, part of an effort to save £10m a year over the next three years from a £250m budget.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
The face of fertility: why do men find women who are near ovulation more attractive?
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Google has set its terrifying, dreaming image robots on the public
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the UK's leadin...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This caravan dealership are currently recruiti...