Bigger wine glasses make drinkers pour themselves more than they realise
Pouring wine while holding the glass in your hand can also make you underestimate your intake, research suggests
Monday 30 September 2013
While many wine drinkers who suffer with a bad hangover the next day believe it is because they had one too many glasses, a study suggests it may be the size of their wine glass that caused them to unwittingly drink too much.
Researchers found that drinkers unwittingly gave themselves larger servings when they had wider glasses, held them in their hands while pouring or when the colour of the glass matched the winde, the Daily Express reports.
A team of scientists from Iowa State and Cornell Universities in the US recruited 73 students who drank at least one glass of wine a week.
The drinkers were offered glasses of different sizes but were each time told to pour the same amount of wine.
The test subjects gave themselves 11.9 percent more wine when they used a wider glass and drank 12.2 percent more if they held the glass while pouring.
Douglas Walker, one of the authors of the research published in the journal Substance Use and Misuse, said, “Participants were asked to pour the same amount at each setting, but they just couldn’t tell the difference.”
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...