Britain is the fattest nation in Europe
Jeremy Laurance is a writer on health issues. He is former health editor of The Independent and the i and has covered the specialism for more than 20 years. He thinks the harm medicine does is under-appreciated, the harm it prevents over-rated, and that cycling works better than most drugs. He was named Specialist Journalist of the Year in the 2011 British Press Awards.
Saturday 17 November 2012
Britain is the fattest nation in Western Europe, with more than a quarter of the population ranked as obese.
Obesity rates are rising rapidly across Europe but the UK rate of 26.1 per cent is more than twice that in France, at 12.9 per cent, according to a strudy by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
Only Hungary outranks Britain with an obesity rate of 28.5 per cent. More than half of Europeans are overweight or obese, according to the report on health across the 27-nation OECD.
Obesity is more prevalent in women than men in most countries – but fat men outnumber fat women in Norway, Iceland and Malta. The problem is worse among the poorer and less well educated. Diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, asthma, arthritis and some forms of cancer are increased by obesity.
Many countries have stepped up efforts to tackle obesity. There have been taxes on foods high in fat and sugar, and several countries including Denmark, France, Finland and Hungary have passed legislation aimed at changing eating habits.
While obesity is rising, smoking and alcohol consumption are falling. Even so, the EU has the highest alcohol consumption in the world at 10.7 litres of pure alcohol per adult. Life expectancy in the EU was 79 years in 2010.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...