CCTV shows sparks flying as e-cigarette explodes in man's pocket

More than 100 fires in UK over a two-year period were caused by the handheld electronic devices

Click to follow
Indy Lifestyle Online

CCTV has captured the moment an e-cigarette exploded in the pocket of a wine store employee, in the latest example of the devices combusting.

Otis Gooding was badly burned when talking to co-workers behind the counter at the New York City shop on Wednesday.

The high definition security camera footage shows Mr Gooding jumping as sparks shoot and smoke billows from his trouser pocket.

The 31-year-old suffered third-degree burns and was reportedly taken to a medical centre burns unit for surgery.

“Otis ran water on himself till the paramedics came. I was traumatised to see someone hurt that way," said eyewitness John Lee, a fellow employee at Central Cellars Wine and Spirits in Grand Central Terminal.

"I've never seen one that has so much power, it's aftermarket customised so you can change the voltage for high performance.”

No one else was injured in the incident but co-workers were still “shaken up”, according to CNN.

Earlier this month, plastic surgeons at Morriston Hospital’s Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery in Swansea said they had treated five patients for burns after e-cigarette batteries exploded.

In July 2015, the Local government Association revealed that more than 100 fires were caused by e-cigarette blasts over the previous two years.

Man hurt as e-cigarette explodes in his pocket

Scientists believe flavoured e-cigarettes produce “unacceptably dangerous” levels of cancer-causing toxins.

E-cigarettes are handheld electronic devices that emit vapers from flavoured liquird, which often contains nicotine.

Comments