China: Family awarded £7,200 over forced abortion
Thursday 12 July 2012
The family of a woman forced to undergo an abortion because she fell foul of China's one-child policy has received 70,600 yuan (£7,200) compensation. Feng Jianmei's husband, Deng Jiyuan, said yesterday they had accepted the payout because they wanted to return to a normal life.
Ms Feng was beaten by officials and forced to abort her baby last month – seven months into her pregnancy – because she was unable to pay a 40,000 yuan fine for having a second child. The authorities issued a rare apology, fired two officials and disciplined five others.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 I was a Woman Against Feminism too
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 4 The Tory donor whose firm is one of Britain’s biggest tax avoiders - with HMRC's blessing
- 5 John Barrowman praised for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony gay kiss
£20000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitment Company...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My Client are a successful software hous...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: This really is a fantastic chance to joi...
£45000 - £53000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: **MS DYNAMICS N...