Condom shortage after supply wrangle
Monday 25 July 2011
Britain faces a condom shortage because of a legal dispute between the UK's leading provider, Durex, and its main supplier in India, prompting fears of an increase in sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies.
The Indian firm TTK Lig halted its supply of condoms to Durex in May after a dispute over pricing and distribution rights with Dulux's owner, Reckitt Benckiser.
The Indian company produces more than half of Durex's condoms, which account for around 40 per cent of the global condom market. The Slough-based company launched a High Court bid to force TTK to resume production and supply but the case failed.
The dispute is also pending a review at India's Company Law Board, a quasi-judicial body which decides on company disputes.
A shortage of condoms in Britain will not, however, affect the NHS, the Department of Health said yesterday. "NHS Supply Chain has made clear that condoms are available from alternative manufacturers," a spokeswoman said.
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...