Cost fears for Meningitis B lifesaver
Jeremy Laurance is a writer on health issues. He is former health editor of The Independent and the i and has covered the specialism for more than 20 years. He thinks the harm medicine does is under-appreciated, the harm it prevents over-rated, and that cycling works better than most drugs. He was named Specialist Journalist of the Year in the 2011 British Press Awards.
Wednesday 23 January 2013
A vaccine against meningitis B that could save thousands of lives has been licensed in the UK and Europe, it was announced yesterday.
The vaccine, called Bexsero, has taken 20 years to develop and is expected to virtually eliminate the toll from the disease which kills and maims hundreds of children every year.
But the cost, which has yet to be announced by its Swiss makers Novartis, could prevent its being made swiftly available through the national vaccination programme.
It has been more difficult to develop than other meningitis vaccines (against different strains) and is likely to cost considerably more.
Campaigners yesterday urged the Government to make it available as soon as possible after a previous jab against pneumococcal meningitis took five years after licensing to be included in the national programme.
The vaccine will be available to buy privately when it is launched by Novartis soon. It has been licensed for use in babies from age two months and provides 73 per cent protection against the disease.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 3 Do you know this man? Amnesia sufferer found in park pleads for help in identifying who he is
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
£55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: An established leader in the Trading Syste...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client is...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: CXL, Triple Po...
£70000 - £90000 per annum + Job Satisfaction: Harrington Starr: Project Manage...