Doctor 'unfit to practise', callers warn
A whistle-blowing hotline set up to encourage doctors to raise concerns about patient safety has led to 12 "very serious" investigations being launched in just ten weeks.
The General Medical Council helpline has had 187 calls, mainly from doctors but also from members of the public.
The 12 "very serious" allegations relate to complaints that a doctor may not be fit to practise and that there might be a risk to patient safety.
So far 26 – one in seven of those phoned in – was considered serious enough for the GMC to look into. On top of the 12, four were less serious inquiries that could justify action by the regulator if they were part of a wider pattern of concern about a doctor.
All doctors in the country were sent new guidance from the GMC last spring, reiterating that they had a professional duty to act to protect patients' interests.
The confidential hotline was meant to allow doctors to raise serious concerns about patient safety if they felt unable to do so locally, for example if they had worries about a senior colleague. Members of the public are also able to call it. The number is 0161 923 6399.
Life & Style blogs
How Old Do I Look: Microsoft’s super advanced age-guessing app is terrible at guessing how old celebrities are, too
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
ZX Spectrum to return with Vega reboot
Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 #NotGuilty: Second Oxford student writes of brutal rape by two men who then threw her in a bin as part of campaign against victim blaming
- 3 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 4 Oxygen-starved 'dead zones' with no marine life up to 100-miles long discovered in the Atlantic Ocean
- 5 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
£28000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Digital Marketing Cons...
£16640 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Assistant Stores Keeper is r...
£16000 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Developer required to join a bu...