'Fat and fit live as long as slim'
People who are fat and fit live just as long as their slim counterparts and are less likely to die from heart disease, according to a new study.
Researchers looked at 6,000 obese Americans over a 16-year period and compared their death rates with those of lean individuals.
The findings were published today in the journal Applied Physiology, Nutrition And Metabolism.
Study leader Dr Jennifer Kuk, from York University in Toronto, Canada, said: "Our findings challenge the idea that all obese individuals need to lose weight.
"Moreover, it's possible that trying - and failing - to lose weight may be more detrimental than simply staying at an elevated body weight and engaging in a healthy lifestyle that includes physical activity and a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables."
Healthier obese people were generally heavier in early childhood, happier with carrying extra weight, and less likely to try to lose weight during their lives, said the researchers.
These individuals were also more likely to be physically active and to consume a healthy diet.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...