'Fat and fit live as long as slim'
Monday 15 August 2011
People who are fat and fit live just as long as their slim counterparts and are less likely to die from heart disease, according to a new study.
Researchers looked at 6,000 obese Americans over a 16-year period and compared their death rates with those of lean individuals.
The findings were published today in the journal Applied Physiology, Nutrition And Metabolism.
Study leader Dr Jennifer Kuk, from York University in Toronto, Canada, said: "Our findings challenge the idea that all obese individuals need to lose weight.
"Moreover, it's possible that trying - and failing - to lose weight may be more detrimental than simply staying at an elevated body weight and engaging in a healthy lifestyle that includes physical activity and a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables."
Healthier obese people were generally heavier in early childhood, happier with carrying extra weight, and less likely to try to lose weight during their lives, said the researchers.
These individuals were also more likely to be physically active and to consume a healthy diet.
Life & Style blogs
Persistent heartburn 'could be a sign of cancer', new survey warns
Losing appetite as you age? Try adding umami flavour to restore the 'joy of taste'
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Apple stopped a fingerprint scanner from appearing in Google’s Nexus 6
SAG Awards 2015: Best and worst gowns on the red carpet
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...