Gay marriage ban challenge delayed
A plan to test the UK's ban on gay marriages and heterosexual civil partnerships has been stalled by a local government council incorrectly replying to one of eight English couples set on arguing the twin bans are unlawful and should be reversed.
Four gay couples who have been refused marriage licences at register offices across England, along with four heterosexual couples wanting to be legally recognised as civil partners, planned on filing a joint application to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg today.
To lodge the application, all couples need paperwork proving they have applied for a marriage or civil service licence and been rejected.
Because Camden Council mistook heterosexual couple Stephanie Munro and Andrew O'Neil as a gay couple, the "Equal Love" campaign to test gay marriages and heterosexual civil partnerships has been stalled until at least next month, co-ordinator Peter Tatchell said.
Life & Style blogs
The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
'It's brusquely intimate': A bereaved daughter tackles the task of emptying her father's flat
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
International Women's Day 2014: Google compiles celebratory video to mark the day
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...