GPs responsible for up to 9,000 patients
Local health services are coming under increasing strain as figures show that some GPs are responsible for 9,000 patients.
The Department of Health figures show that more than a million people were registered with a GP with over 3,000 patients on their books.
Health experts have warned of that the shortage of family doctors is likely to be made worse by reforms planned by the Health Secretary Andrew Lansley.
Dr Michael Dixon, chairman of the NHS Alliance, which represents the UK's primary care trusts, said yesterday: "Our workforce is in the wrong place. It's in hospital whereas it needs to be in the community. This is already beginning to show and it will get worse over the next year or so."
The total number of GPs increased from 31,369 in 2000 to 39,409 in 2010, according to the Department of Health.
A spokesman added: "We are committed to increasing the number of GPs and other frontline NHS staff to deliver the best care for patients."
Life & Style blogs
Free the internet from commercial interests, says Martha Lane Fox
Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about iconic structure
Contents of women's handbags can be worth more than a small car
Gold Apple Watch buyers can skip queues
- 1 Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 4 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 5 Dylan Moran on quitting smoking, being about as sexy as the Pope and why comedy panel programmes are 'c*ck shows'
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing digital agenc...
£50000 - £100000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a newly-created partne...
£35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior FF&E Project Co-ordinator is re...
£10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A delightful, 11 year old boy who lives in t...