GPs 'should talk more about sex'
Saturday 25 September 2010
Doctors should routinely ask their patients during medical consultations if they have any sexual concerns, the British Society for Sexual Medicine (BSSM) said yesterday, as the question could give clinicians an early warning of other health problems which the patient may be suffering but could also help to tackle social issues like relationship breakdown.
Dr Geoff Hackett, a sexual health specialist at Good Hope Hospital, Birmingham, said savings could be made where patients are at the moment inappropriately prescribed sometimes expensive drugs which do not effectively tackle their problem.
More than half of patients taking Viagra found it did not solve their problems adequately, he said, adding that low testosterone was the main problem for one in 10 men suffering erectile dysfunction and drugs such as Viagra had no effect if taken alone.
Life & Style blogs
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
NHS property sale could raise £7.5bn to help pay off its growing deficit and free up space for housing
China accused of launching four-day cyber attack on US coding website GitHub
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 5 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Client Services Assistant is ...
£20000 - £100000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportuni...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Duty Manager is required to join one of the ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Team Leader is required to join one of the l...