Health tests for over-40s to detect killer diseases
Wednesday 02 April 2008
Health "MoTs" for everyone over 40 have been promised by the Health Secretary Alan Johnson in an attempt to cut down deaths from heart attacks, strokes and other preventable illnesses.
Three million men and women could be screened every year for major conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes at an annual cost of £250m.
A "vascular check-up" to detect risk of heart disease and stroke will be offered, with patients undergoing further tests for diabetes and kidney disease if they are thought to be at risk.
GP practices, community health centres and pharmacies are all likely to offer the tests, which will be rolled out from 2009. Health charities welcomed the move yesterday, saying it shifted attention to prevention rather than cure. But the plans came in for criticism from family doctors who said the burden on them would be far higher than the Government suggested.
Gordon Brown said the scheme represented "the future" of the health service.
Life & Style blogs
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...