Health tests for over-40s to detect killer diseases
Wednesday 02 April 2008
Health "MoTs" for everyone over 40 have been promised by the Health Secretary Alan Johnson in an attempt to cut down deaths from heart attacks, strokes and other preventable illnesses.
Three million men and women could be screened every year for major conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes at an annual cost of £250m.
A "vascular check-up" to detect risk of heart disease and stroke will be offered, with patients undergoing further tests for diabetes and kidney disease if they are thought to be at risk.
GP practices, community health centres and pharmacies are all likely to offer the tests, which will be rolled out from 2009. Health charities welcomed the move yesterday, saying it shifted attention to prevention rather than cure. But the plans came in for criticism from family doctors who said the burden on them would be far higher than the Government suggested.
Gordon Brown said the scheme represented "the future" of the health service.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Star Wars BB-8 droid toy is real, should be impossible
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...