Health warning over 88,000 foreign doctors working in the NHS
Thursday 17 April 2014
Foreign doctors working in the NHS are less competent than their British counterparts, a major report has warned.
The majority of the 88,000 foreign doctors practising the UK would fail exams if they were held to the same standards as their British colleagues.
A study by the University College London called for the pass rate for competency exams to be lifted “to ensure patient safety”.
Foreign doctors, including 22,758 from outside the EU, make up around a third of the doctors currently practising in the UK.
They must pass a Professional and Linguistics Assessment to practice in the UK, but the research found “no formal mechanism” to ensure it was as tough as the exams sat by British doctors.
A comparison of results showed they were consistently performing less well than their British counterparts, with around half unlikely to be able to pass the British test.
“It may be that some overseas doctors have had poor training and when they come to Britain they will catch up quickly,” Chris McManus, professor of psychology and medical training at UCL, told the Daily Telegraph.
“But alternatively some may feel completely overwhelmed, particularly with new technology they have not yet come across. And that is of concern.”
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
£30000 - £33000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior DBA (SQ...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: Business Anal...
£60000 - £90000 per annum + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Global leading Energy Tra...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: CXL, Triple Po...