Heart risk link to smoking drug
An anti-smoking pill used by thousands of Britons increases the risk of heart attacks and stroke by at least 72 per cent, research has suggested.
Champix (varenicline) is a prescription-only medicine that works by citting cravings and accounted for 955,242 prescriptions in England in 2010. Fears had previously been raised after patients reported depression, suicidal thoughts and anxiety, but a new study has said the drug is associated with a "significantly increased risk of serious adverse cardiovascular events", such as heart attack and stroke, when compared with placebo.
The research, published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, analysed data for more than 8,000 people from 14 medical trials. A total of 52 of 4,908 people on the drug had adverse events compared with 27 of 3,308 people on placebo, though there was no difference in death rates.
Life & Style blogs
Holocaust Memorial Day: 70 years since Auschwitz liberation, these are the stories of survivors
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Snapchat got rid of the Best Friends feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 4 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...