Heart risk link to smoking drug
An anti-smoking pill used by thousands of Britons increases the risk of heart attacks and stroke by at least 72 per cent, research has suggested.
Champix (varenicline) is a prescription-only medicine that works by citting cravings and accounted for 955,242 prescriptions in England in 2010. Fears had previously been raised after patients reported depression, suicidal thoughts and anxiety, but a new study has said the drug is associated with a "significantly increased risk of serious adverse cardiovascular events", such as heart attack and stroke, when compared with placebo.
The research, published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, analysed data for more than 8,000 people from 14 medical trials. A total of 52 of 4,908 people on the drug had adverse events compared with 27 of 3,308 people on placebo, though there was no difference in death rates.
Life & Style blogs
Should doctors and patients learn to plan humane, happier endings rather than trying to prolong life?
Black Friday: Best beauty deals
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Black Friday: best UK tech deals on iPads, Macs, PS4 and more
Black Friday: From Bicester Village to Amazon, best fashion deals
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
£40k - 45k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...
£30k - 35k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: We’re currently re...
£35k - 45k per year + benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...
£60k - 80k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...