HIV tests sold on internet 'unsafe'
Thursday 27 October 2011
Illegal HIV test kits imported from China and sold online could give an incorrect diagnosis, a health watchdog has warned.
The Government's Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency is to shut down six UK-based websites that have been selling kits without a 'CE' quality mark. They also sold non-compliant testing devices for infections such as hepatitis, gonorrhoea, chlamydia and syphilis.
Almost 500 of the kits, which enable users to test themselves, have been bought. The instructions that came with some kits were confusing or insufficient, while others had none at all.
Life & Style blogs
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
The busiest Starbucks in the US is also the most secretive - it's where the CIA gets its coffee fix
Contraceptive pill 'can affect emotions by changing structure of brain'
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...