Hospital apologises for error that left girl paralysed
Thursday 01 September 2011
A teenager was left paralysed from the waist down when a spinal anaesthetic was left in too long after a routine operation, a hospital has admitted.
Sophie Tyler, 17, of Risca, near Newport, south Wales, will never walk again after an epidural was mistakenly left in place for more than two days. She was in Birmingham Children's Hospital for the removal of gallstones in May 2008 when she was 14 years old.
The hospital trust has now admitted liability and apologised for the "unimaginable distress caused".
Life & Style blogs
'I am a paedophile': Is our approach to sex offenders helping to create more victims?
Scientists discover 'stroke protection gene' – that also guards against heart attack and migraine
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Revealed: Lidl’s £4 perfume smells identical to Chanel’s £70 scent - but the difference is in the bottle
Regin: US and UK intelligence services could be responsible for snooping spyware
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...