Hospital infection data is made public
People will be able to check the weekly MRSA and Clostridium difficile rates at their local hospital from next month, the Government has announced.
Infection figures for all hospitals in England will be published each week on the data.gov.uk website.
Patients will be able to look at data for the previous three months and, over time, infection rates for bugs like E. coli will be added. Weekly data from March to May for many hospitals is already up and running.
MRSA and C. diff infections are now at their lowest level since records began.
Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said: "It will enable people to make meaningful choices because they will be able to make comparisons between different hospitals and healthcare organisations."
The Government has said it will also look at whether figures should be provided at a department or ward level without breaching confidentiality of patients.
Life & Style blogs
WWE 2K15 gameplay trailer: First look at Sting, Triple H and Daniel Bryan in next-gen graphics
iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
Dale Bolinger guilty: What is sexual cannibalism?
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
First day of Autumn: Google Doodle celebrates 2014 Autumn equinox
- 1 Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
£60000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client in the Financial...
£85 - £125 per day: Randstad Education Chester: Job Opportunity for Secondary ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Chester: Key Stage 2 Teachers needed in Flintsh...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Chester: Year 6 Teachers urgently needed for su...