Hospitals to reveal performance data
Hospitals will be required to publish survival rates for operations by the surgeon who carries them out under plans to help patients to choose more effectively where they have their care.
Under new rules unveiled today by the NHS Commissioning Board – which from next year will run the health service – both public and private hospitals will have to report data covering survival rates and quality of care for 10 specialities including cardiac, vascular and orthopaedic surgery.
The details will be broken down by consultant – and will also cover the performance of the junior doctors working under their guidance. It will begin being published by next summer. The information will be made freely available.
The move was announced as part of the board's plan to improve healthcare across the NHS for the first two years' operation.
Among other initiatives:
* All patients will have the opportunity to leave feedback, in real time, on any NHS service, by 2015. Hospitals and GPs will have to demonstrate that they have responded to criticism.
* The NHS will move to operating "seven days a week" with appointments and operations being made available at weekends.
* New commissioning bodies will be expected to make quantifiable improvements in five areas including preventing people from dying prematurely; enhancing quality of life for people with long-term conditions; and helping people to recover from injury.
Sales of the tablet are set to fall again, say analysts
World's most lethal spider found under a bunch of bananas
I Am Bread could actually be a challenging and nuanced title
Company decides to go for simply scary after criticising other sites for 'creepy and targeted' advertising
Footage shot by a passerby shows moment an ill man was carried out of his burning home
Peter Biaksangzuala died from his injuries in hospital on Sunday
Life & Style blogs
Soylent: Could a slug of nutritionally engineered sludge ever replace the leisurely meal?
Jeremy Hunt tells nurses 'path to lower cost is the same as the path to safer care'
Cara Delevingne photographed naked by Mario Testino for Allure magazine
Dear young men: The old stereotypes of what it is to be a 'man' are a load of rubbish
What lies beneath La Perla's 60 years of luxury lingerie?
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it to blame for the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Meet Thea, Norway's 12-year-old child bride
- 5 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans
£110 - £130 per day + TBA: Randstad Education Reading: Geography Teacher neede...
£50 - £70 per day: Randstad Education Preston: This role has arisen due to inc...
£110 - £130 per day + Competitive rates of pay: Randstad Education Reading: Bu...
£50 - £60 per day: Randstad Education Preston: The RoleDue to demand we are cu...