Hospitals to reveal performance data
Hospitals will be required to publish survival rates for operations by the surgeon who carries them out under plans to help patients to choose more effectively where they have their care.
Under new rules unveiled today by the NHS Commissioning Board – which from next year will run the health service – both public and private hospitals will have to report data covering survival rates and quality of care for 10 specialities including cardiac, vascular and orthopaedic surgery.
The details will be broken down by consultant – and will also cover the performance of the junior doctors working under their guidance. It will begin being published by next summer. The information will be made freely available.
The move was announced as part of the board's plan to improve healthcare across the NHS for the first two years' operation.
Among other initiatives:
* All patients will have the opportunity to leave feedback, in real time, on any NHS service, by 2015. Hospitals and GPs will have to demonstrate that they have responded to criticism.
* The NHS will move to operating "seven days a week" with appointments and operations being made available at weekends.
* New commissioning bodies will be expected to make quantifiable improvements in five areas including preventing people from dying prematurely; enhancing quality of life for people with long-term conditions; and helping people to recover from injury.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 review: bigger, thinner, faster, brighter - Apple proves you can make the best better
iPhone 6 Plus review: more like a small iPad that makes calls - but perfect for some
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Science Teacher (mater...
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for an ...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: A West Yorkshire School i...