'Legal highs' chosen over street cocaine
Friday 08 October 2010
Young adults are turning to so-called legal highs as they seek alternatives to poor-quality cocaine on the streets, a report has found.
The number of 18 to 24-year-olds being treated for addiction in 2009-10 fell sharply for every drug except cannabis as young adults turned away from class A drugs, the NHS's National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse said.
But it warned there was "evidence that legal highs have emerged as an alternative to low-quality cocaine".
"It could take some time for those using legal highs to develop problems that would call for formal treatment. It's too early to tell if there is an emerging treatment need, although reports from A&E units suggest these drugs do cause significant harm."
Life & Style blogs
Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
The 10 Best kitchen knives
Angus Steakhouse: How does tourist staple continue to thrive in today's gourmet market?
Kim Jong-ale: How did Ushers brewery of Trowbridge end up in North Korea producing Pyongyang's number one beer - and what did it take to set up a taste test back in Wiltshire?
- 1 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 2 'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 Angus Steakhouse: How does tourist staple continue to thrive in today's gourmet market?
- 5 Cover up! Mother told to show less cleavage during Disneyland family trip: 'Are we supposed to wear turtlenecks our whole lives?'
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...