Melanoma rates in the UK are up five times on the 1970s
Monday 21 April 2014
Rates of malignant melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer, are five times higher in the UK than in the 1970s, new figures show.
More than 13,000 people are now developing the disease each year compared with about 1,800 in 1975. The incidence rate has also shot up from just over three per 100,000 40 years ago to about 17 per 100,000.
The dramatic rise is partly down to the huge increase in package holidays to sunny European destinations, a boom in the use of sunbeds, and the fashion for a “healthy” tan, said Cancer Research UK, which released the figures.
Malignant melanoma is now the fifth most common cancer in the UK and more than 2,000 people die from the disease each year.
Sunburn is known to increase the risk of skin cancer, especially in people with pale skin or large numbers of moles or freckles.
Nick Ormiston-Smith, head of statistics at Cancer Research UK, said: “The good news for those diagnosed is that survival is amongst the highest for any cancer; more than eight in 10 will survive it.”
Life & Style blogs
'I am a paedophile': Is our approach to sex offenders helping to create more victims?
Scientists discover 'stroke protection gene' – that also guards against heart attack and migraine
Hackers hold Sony Pictures to ransom by taking over its whole computer system
Regin: US and UK intelligence services could be responsible for snooping spyware
Parenting gay teens: the book that all parents need to read
- 1 Turkish President: 'Equality between men and women is against nature'
- 2 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...