Mood music can help babies cope with pain
Thursday 28 May 2009
Playing music to babies in hospital can ease their pain and help with feeding, according to research published today.
An analysis of nine clinical trials found that music had a beneficial effect on lessening pain when premature babies were subject to procedures such as heel prick blood tests. Babies born at full-term also appeared to experience less pain when they underwent operations such as circumcision. Some of the studies showed music could help premature babies who struggled with feeding. However, the authors called for more rigorous studies before recommendations are made on the use of music to help babies develop.
The research, published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood, was carried out by experts at the University of Alberta in Canada. The music played included live music, classical, female vocalists, recorded lullabies and recorded nursery rhymes.
They reviewed trials published between 1989 and 2006. Many of the studies found that music helped babies, shown through measurements of heart rate, oxygen saturation and pain levels.
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
Chloe Sevigny poses with a lobster on her crotch in a daring shoot for Marfa Journal
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Nessie Street View and homepage Doodle to mark 81st anniversary of iconic photograph
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading manufacturer of fl...
£12000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Field Sales Operative is requ...
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£12000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion and growth of ...