Mood music can help babies cope with pain
Thursday 28 May 2009
Playing music to babies in hospital can ease their pain and help with feeding, according to research published today.
An analysis of nine clinical trials found that music had a beneficial effect on lessening pain when premature babies were subject to procedures such as heel prick blood tests. Babies born at full-term also appeared to experience less pain when they underwent operations such as circumcision. Some of the studies showed music could help premature babies who struggled with feeding. However, the authors called for more rigorous studies before recommendations are made on the use of music to help babies develop.
The research, published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood, was carried out by experts at the University of Alberta in Canada. The music played included live music, classical, female vocalists, recorded lullabies and recorded nursery rhymes.
They reviewed trials published between 1989 and 2006. Many of the studies found that music helped babies, shown through measurements of heart rate, oxygen saturation and pain levels.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Boxing Day sales: From Asos to Harrods, the best fashion deals
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
- 1 The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
- 2 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 3 Andy Murray takes to Twitter to show off his Christmas jumper
- 4 Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'
- 5 Top 10 travel destinations for 2015: From Haiti and Alaska to Namibia and Iceland
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...