New fathers to get more flexibility
Saturday 13 October 2012
Fathers will be able to take most of their baby's first year off work if the mother goes back to work under new Coalition proposals.
Under plans to go before Parliament next year, if a mother is the main breadwinner, she can go back to work after two weeks and the father can claim "flexible parental leave".
The scheme will not come into effect until October 2015.
Under the current system, mothers are legally entitled to 90 per cent of their earnings for the first six weeks after birth. Fathers are entitled to two weeks of paternity leave and mothers can transfer their leave after the first six months.
Life & Style blogs
This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
My life as a Jew in wartime Berlin: How I outwitted the Gestapo
Tinder Plus: premium service launches, charging much more for those over 28
Running test reveals whether you will die in the next decade
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 1 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 2 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
this is an unpaid voluntary position: Circles South East Youth Service: LOOKIN...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading privately owned sp...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is require...
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The largest supplier to the UK'...