New genetic test for mouth cancer
A new genetic test has been developed that can detect early signs of mouth cancer.
The qMIDS test measures the activity of 16 genes from a piece of biopsy tissue less than half the size of a grain of rice.
It can show whether patients with mouth sores or ulcers possess pre-cancerous cells.
The test had a cancer detection rate of up to 94% when used on more than 350 head and neck tissue specimens from 299 patients in the UK and Norway.
Mouth, or oral cancer, affects more than 6,200 people each year in the UK.
One of the main symptoms is mouth lesions, such as sores and ulcers. But these are very common and mostly benign - only 5% to 30% may develop into cancers.
Lead researcher Dr Muy-Teck Teh, from the Institute of Dentistry at Queen Mary, University of London, said: "A sensitive test capable of quantifying a patient's cancer risk is needed to avoid the adoption of a 'wait-and-see' intervention.
"Detecting cancer early, coupled with appropriate treatment, can significantly improve patient outcomes, reduce mortality, and alleviate long-term public healthcare costs."
The findings are published in the International Journal of Cancer.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...