New guide for safe drinking
Saturday 22 October 2011
Doctors have recommended that drinkers should have three alcohol-free days a week to avoid the risk of liver disease.
The Royal College of Physicians made the recommendation as they warned that the Government's current guidance on healthy drinking limits is "extremely dangerous".
In a submission to MPs on the Commons science and technology committee, the doctors said: "Government guidelines should recognise that hazardous drinking has two components: frequency of drinking and amount of drinking."
Liver disease kills more than 16,000 a year in the UK, the main cause being excessive drinking.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
The face of fertility: why do men find women who are near ovulation more attractive?
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Google has set its terrifying, dreaming image robots on the public
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the UK's leadin...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This caravan dealership are currently recruiti...