New health secretary's warning on NHS growth
Health Secretary Andy Burnham admitted today he could not commit to NHS growth after 2011.
Mr Burnham, caught up in a row with the Tories over a potential £15 billion funding shortfall over the next decade, said committing to that would be "ridiculous".
Speaking at the NHS Confederation annual conference in Liverpool, he said: "People might not believe everything we say these days but there's confidence and a wider recognition we have looked after the NHS and made it our priority."
But he added: "I can't write the spending review - it would be ridiculous.
"We have stability for two years but the Prime Minister indicated the NHS will remain the priority for a Labour Government."
Life & Style blogs
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
Inside A&E: The highs, the lows, and the grief is something that echoes across all hospitals around the world
Rita Ora reveals all – from her 24 tattoos to what she likes to wear when no-one's looking
American Apparel’s model agency leaked casting call saying it wants ‘real models’ not ‘Instagram hoes’
Just three alcoholic drinks a day increase chances of liver cancer
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Managers are required to join the UK's...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will maximise the effective...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission : SThree: Hello! I know most ...