NHS drops premium telephone numbers
Premium-rate phone numbers are to be banned across the NHS. Charges that force patients to pay more than the cost of a local call will be scrapped in England after a public consultation drew almost 3,000 responses.
The numbers – which start with an 084 – are used by some GP practices and hospitals, with people paying over the odds to contact their local health service. Patients will still dial 084 numbers but now they will pay only the cost of a local call.
The Health minister, Mike O'Brien, said: "For people on low incomes, and for those who need to contact their local doctor or hospital regularly, these costs can soon build up." The changes will be put into GP contracts within months.
There is no exact figure on the number of GP practices who use 084 numbers but data suggests it is in the region of 1,200. Richard Vautrey, deputy chairman of the British Medical Association's GP committee, said: "Combining the benefits of 084 numbers with an assurance that they won't cost more than a local phone call is the best solution for patients and practices."
Life & Style blogs
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...