NHS mortality rate higher than in US
Wednesday 11 September 2013
Patients in English NHS hospitals are 45 per cent more likely to die than those treated in US wards.
Sir Brian Jarman, the inventor of the hospital standardised mortality rate, tracked death rates in seven countries over more than a decade. He found that in 2004, England was the worst out of the seven, with 22.5 per cent higher death rates than the average. Last year, patients were 45 per cent more likely to die in an English NHS hospital than in America – the best performer.
“Warnings about high death rates were ignored too frequently,” said Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.
Welcome to The Independent's live coverage of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the final race of the 2014 season that sees Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg battle it out for the Drivers' Championship.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Winter crisis in A&E: Hospitals declare 'black alerts' as admissions shatter records, but full stats still unpublished
Bill Granger recipes: Tenderstem broccoli omelette; Fried eggs with Mexican-style tomato and chilli sauce; Pan-fried cavolo nero with soft-boiled egg
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Google launches 'Contributor' payment service for ad-free internet browsing
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...