NHS reforms cost soars by £300m
Thursday 18 October 2012
The Government's controversial NHS reforms are to cost £300 million more than previously thought, the Health Secretary said.
Implementing the Health and Social Care Act is now expected to cost the taxpayer between £1.5 billion and £1.6 billion, Jeremy Hunt said.
The cost of rolling out the reforms was initially thought to be between £1.2 billion and £1.3 billion.
Mr Hunt announced the cost increase in a written statement to the House of Commons.
The Act became law in March after a tortuous passage through Parliament.
Unions fought strenuously against the Act, which has been recently been referred to as the "mother of all top-down reorganisations".
The Royal College of General Practitioners chair Dr Clare Gerada also said the reorganisation had put the NHS "in distress".
At the College's annual conference, which was held in Glasgow earlier this month, Dr Gerada said that, while the Act applies to England only, all the health services across the UK are under pressure to find ways of delivering services more efficiently without compromising the quality of patient care.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Boxing Day sales: From Asos to Harrods, the best fashion deals
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
- 1 The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
- 2 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 3 Andy Murray takes to Twitter to show off his Christmas jumper
- 4 Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'
- 5 Top 10 travel destinations for 2015: From Haiti and Alaska to Namibia and Iceland
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...