Nicotine patch claims up in smoke
Tuesday 10 January 2012
Nicotine patches are no better than willpower alone in helping
smokers quit their habit, a study has found.
Gums and nasal sprays are equally ineffective, according to research in the US by the Harvard University School of Public Health.
Surveys of 787 smokers attempting to give up showed a third relapsed whether using nicotine replacement products or not.
Heavy smokers who used patches or similar treatments but did not also seek therapy were twice as likely to relapse as those who did not use patches.
The study, published in the journal Tobacco Control, questioned subjects three times over five years. The report said that the findings "may indicate that some heavily dependent smokers perceive NRT as a 'magic' pill and, realising it is not, they find themselves without support in their quitting efforts and doomed to failure".
Life & Style blogs
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
Mother's Day 2015: When is it – and how did it first come about?
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...