Nicotine patch claims up in smoke
Tuesday 10 January 2012
Nicotine patches are no better than willpower alone in helping
smokers quit their habit, a study has found.
Gums and nasal sprays are equally ineffective, according to research in the US by the Harvard University School of Public Health.
Surveys of 787 smokers attempting to give up showed a third relapsed whether using nicotine replacement products or not.
Heavy smokers who used patches or similar treatments but did not also seek therapy were twice as likely to relapse as those who did not use patches.
The study, published in the journal Tobacco Control, questioned subjects three times over five years. The report said that the findings "may indicate that some heavily dependent smokers perceive NRT as a 'magic' pill and, realising it is not, they find themselves without support in their quitting efforts and doomed to failure".
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Google has set its terrifying, dreaming image robots on the public
The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 Baby rescued 1km out to sea after parents forgot about her
£17000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£17000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£17000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are fluent in Japanese a...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...