Non-white births now a majority in US
Friday 18 May 2012
For the first time, racial and ethnic minorities account for more than half the children born in the US – the result of decades of heady immigration growth.
However, a recent slowdown in the growth of the Hispanic and Asian populations is prompting a rethink on when non-Hispanic whites are likely to become a minority.
New 2011 census estimates highlight changes in the nation's racial make-up and the prolonged impact of a weak economy, which is now resulting in fewer Hispanics entering the country.
Overall, the minority population rose by 1.9 per cent to 114.1 million, or 36.6 per cent of the total. This was partly the result of earlier waves of immigration that brought in young families and boosted the number of Hispanic women in their prime childbearing years – as reflected in the 2010 count, which showed more Hispanics than expected.
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
Women's sportswear: From tackling a marathon to a jog in the park, the right kit can help
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
$375 'peasant dress' enrages the internet
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£12000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion and growth of ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Operations Leader is required to join a lea...