Non-white births now a majority in US
Friday 18 May 2012
For the first time, racial and ethnic minorities account for more than half the children born in the US – the result of decades of heady immigration growth.
However, a recent slowdown in the growth of the Hispanic and Asian populations is prompting a rethink on when non-Hispanic whites are likely to become a minority.
New 2011 census estimates highlight changes in the nation's racial make-up and the prolonged impact of a weak economy, which is now resulting in fewer Hispanics entering the country.
Overall, the minority population rose by 1.9 per cent to 114.1 million, or 36.6 per cent of the total. This was partly the result of earlier waves of immigration that brought in young families and boosted the number of Hispanic women in their prime childbearing years – as reflected in the 2010 count, which showed more Hispanics than expected.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
iPhone 6s photos leak shows new phone will be thicker than iPhone 6, could make cases defunct
Women really are more attracted to men who make them laugh, study finds
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...