Non-white births now a majority in US
Friday 18 May 2012
For the first time, racial and ethnic minorities account for more than half the children born in the US – the result of decades of heady immigration growth.
However, a recent slowdown in the growth of the Hispanic and Asian populations is prompting a rethink on when non-Hispanic whites are likely to become a minority.
New 2011 census estimates highlight changes in the nation's racial make-up and the prolonged impact of a weak economy, which is now resulting in fewer Hispanics entering the country.
Overall, the minority population rose by 1.9 per cent to 114.1 million, or 36.6 per cent of the total. This was partly the result of earlier waves of immigration that brought in young families and boosted the number of Hispanic women in their prime childbearing years – as reflected in the 2010 count, which showed more Hispanics than expected.
Newcastle winger is in Argentina having chemotherapy
Returning to the stage after 20 years makes actress feel 'nauseous'
Man's attempt to avoid being impounded heavily criticised
Colin Firth and Emma Stone star together in Magic in the Moonlight: Woody Allen's 1920s romance
Life & Style blogs
Victoria's Secret models star in new nude Russell James book
iPhone 6 review: bigger, thinner, faster, brighter - Apple proves you can make the best better
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
More women now play video games than men
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
- 4 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 5 Kanye West halts concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
This is an unpaid voluntary role.: Cancer Research UK: We need motivational vo...
£1 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Job Purpose To work closely with the he...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Birmingham: I am looking for a qualified experi...
£50 - £85 per day: Randstad Education Preston: Rapidly developing and growing ...