Parenthood is the secret to longer life
Jeremy Laurance is a writer on health issues. He is former health editor of The Independent and the i and has covered the specialism for more than 20 years. He thinks the harm medicine does is under-appreciated, the harm it prevents over-rated, and that cycling works better than most drugs. He was named Specialist Journalist of the Year in the 2011 British Press Awards.
Wednesday 05 December 2012
Becoming parents lengthens people's lives as it makes them behave more responsibly, take fewer risks and follow healthier lifestyles, a study suggests.
The study of 21,000 couples treated at IVF clinics in Denmark found the death rate from cancer, heart disease and accidents was four times higher among childless women than among those who had children.
Among men, death rates were twice as high among those who did not become parents. The findings are published in the Journal of Epidemiology.
Life & Style blogs
Karl Lagerfeld's famous cat made £2m last year - that's more than Cara Delevingne earned
Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
Fast food Britain: The number of takeaways soars across the nation's high streets
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
The Clove Club: The restaurant where you will pre-pay for your food
- 1 Rape threats, death threats and a police investigation after video poking fun at an Islamic Party in Malaysia goes viral
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 6-year-old writes ice cold Valentine's card to his stepmother
- 5 Syrian child photographed 'surrendering to camera because she thought it was a gun'
£15000 - £16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The ideal candidates will have ...
£22000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£23000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing boutique prac...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...