Parenthood is the secret to longer life
Jeremy Laurance is a writer on health issues. He is former health editor of The Independent and the i and has covered the specialism for more than 20 years. He thinks the harm medicine does is under-appreciated, the harm it prevents over-rated, and that cycling works better than most drugs. He was named Specialist Journalist of the Year in the 2011 British Press Awards.
Wednesday 05 December 2012
Becoming parents lengthens people's lives as it makes them behave more responsibly, take fewer risks and follow healthier lifestyles, a study suggests.
The study of 21,000 couples treated at IVF clinics in Denmark found the death rate from cancer, heart disease and accidents was four times higher among childless women than among those who had children.
Among men, death rates were twice as high among those who did not become parents. The findings are published in the Journal of Epidemiology.
Life & Style blogs
Eight-year-old boy Zion Harvey says of double hand transplant – 'it feels weird, but good'
The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
Prostate cancer could actually be five different diseases, say scientists
NHS treatments such as vasectomies and hip operations to be rationed because of cost-cutting
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Australia to impose 24-hour curfew on all cats to protect endangered species
- 2 Model's video shoot on the beach interrupted by sudden landing of a group of illegal migrants
- 3 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 MH370 search: Boeing 777 wing that could match missing plane found on the French island of Reunion
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Edinburgh city centre Scho...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250...
£17900 - £20300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An enthusiastic Marketing Assis...
£24000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This contract caterer is proud ...