Peers and BMA attack Lansley's NHS reforms
Moves to overhaul the National Health Service have suffered a double setback ahead of the return of the controversial plans to Parliament.
Yesterday, a cross-party group of peers called for fresh changes to the Health and Social Care Bill and the British Medical Association called for the Bill to be scrapped as it announced a new campaign of opposition.
The Lords Constitution Committee warned that the reforms fail to enshrine in law the Health Secretary's ultimate responsibility for the NHS.
Critics have warned that, as drafted, the Bill could allow Andrew Lansley, the incumbent, or his successors to claim that they do not have the power to intervene and keep hospitals open. The committee said: "We are concerned that the Bill, if enacted in its current form, may risk diluting the Government's constitutional responsibilities with regard to the NHS."
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
David Beckham fronts the campaign for his underwear autumn/winter collection, which hit stores today
London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
NHS patients to be seen by 'doctors on the cheap'
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Structural Engineer Job...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Generalist HR Administrator - Tunbri...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + 5 weeks holiday & benefits: Ashdown Group: Head of...