Peers and BMA attack Lansley's NHS reforms
Moves to overhaul the National Health Service have suffered a double setback ahead of the return of the controversial plans to Parliament.
Yesterday, a cross-party group of peers called for fresh changes to the Health and Social Care Bill and the British Medical Association called for the Bill to be scrapped as it announced a new campaign of opposition.
The Lords Constitution Committee warned that the reforms fail to enshrine in law the Health Secretary's ultimate responsibility for the NHS.
Critics have warned that, as drafted, the Bill could allow Andrew Lansley, the incumbent, or his successors to claim that they do not have the power to intervene and keep hospitals open. The committee said: "We are concerned that the Bill, if enacted in its current form, may risk diluting the Government's constitutional responsibilities with regard to the NHS."
Life & Style blogs
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
From Topshop to Burberry, London Fashion Week spring/summer 2015: Distraction could not disguise a distinct lack of focus
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No new blood and no fresh ideas at Milan Fashion Week: How do you solve a problem like Milano?
- 1 Rihanna 'nude photos' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 3 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...
£90 - £115 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: We are currently looking fo...
£120 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Job Share Year 3/4 Teacher...