Rabies case in UK after dog bite in Asia
Thursday 24 May 2012
A rare case of rabies, a potentially fatal disease, was confirmed in the UK yesterday.
The Health Protection Agency said a patient from London had contracted the disease after they were bitten by a dog in South Asia.
The agency said the patient, whose age and gender have not been disclosed, is receiving hospital treatment for the illness that makes drinking impossible.
At least 55,000 people die from rabies every year, but it has been eradicated from animals in the UK and the agency stressed that there was no risk to the public as there is no "human-to-human spread".
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 review: bigger, thinner, faster, brighter - Apple proves you can make the best better
iPhone 6 Plus review: more like a small iPad that makes calls - but perfect for some
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Science Teacher (mater...
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for an ...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: A West Yorkshire School i...