Rabies case in UK after dog bite in Asia
Thursday 24 May 2012
A rare case of rabies, a potentially fatal disease, was confirmed in the UK yesterday.
The Health Protection Agency said a patient from London had contracted the disease after they were bitten by a dog in South Asia.
The agency said the patient, whose age and gender have not been disclosed, is receiving hospital treatment for the illness that makes drinking impossible.
At least 55,000 people die from rabies every year, but it has been eradicated from animals in the UK and the agency stressed that there was no risk to the public as there is no "human-to-human spread".
Life & Style blogs
Penis size study: what's 'normal' anyway?
Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
Penis size: is there a correlation with sexual satisfaction? A scientific look
Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
- 1 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway in dense fog
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
£35000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of refrig...
£16000 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a customer focused, pro...
£27000 - £33000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Front-End Devel...
£15000 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Waterlooville based softwa...