Rabies case in UK after dog bite in Asia
Thursday 24 May 2012
A rare case of rabies, a potentially fatal disease, was confirmed in the UK yesterday.
The Health Protection Agency said a patient from London had contracted the disease after they were bitten by a dog in South Asia.
The agency said the patient, whose age and gender have not been disclosed, is receiving hospital treatment for the illness that makes drinking impossible.
At least 55,000 people die from rabies every year, but it has been eradicated from animals in the UK and the agency stressed that there was no risk to the public as there is no "human-to-human spread".
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...