Sack the managers of failing hospitals, says Hunt
Sunday 06 January 2013
Hospital managers who preside over failings that lead to patient deaths should face dismissal, the Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, said today.
Mr Hunt said "proper accountability" needed to be restored in the NHS with a "change of culture" urgently required.
Robert Francis QC, who has led an £11m inquiry into failings at Stafford Hospital, which are blamed for the deaths of hundreds of patients, is expected to be damning in his report on senior management and healthcare regulators later this month.
Writing in The Sunday Telegraph, Mr Hunt said: "Organisations cared more about meeting targets than focusing on patients. Just as a manager wouldn't expect to keep their job if they lost control of their finances, nor should they expect to keep it if they lose control of the care in their organisation."
The inquiry will reportedly recommend fines or closure for hospitals that attempt to cover up mistakes and poor patient treatment.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
lifeIt takes year-long dedication to get Selfridges ready for 25 December. And they're already working on plans for 2015...
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Life & Style blogs
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences, as judge labels him a 'dangerous sexual predator'
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber announces he's 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >
£25000 - £32000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Business Analyst - Banking...
£21999 - £27001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Do you have exten...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£42000 - £51000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Are You Receiving...