Salmonella outbreak warning
Food safety experts were last night trying to trace the source of an outbreak of a new strain of salmonella that has spread throughout the British Isles.
Ninety people have caught the food poisoning infection in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland since February. Most sufferers have been young adults, but a baby and a 79-year-old have also been infected. Given the wide geographical spread of cases, the bacteria may have been carried by a commercial food product.
Salmonella is a food-borne gastro-intestinal disease contracted by eating contaminated food, usually meat which has not been cooked at a high enough temperature to kill off the bacteria. Victims suffer stomach cramps and diarrhoea and occasionally vomiting. Most people recover from the illness within a week but it can occasionally be fatal among those with low immune systems, such as children and the elderly.
The Food Standards Agency advised people to keep their kitchen and hands clean and always cook food thoroughly. When eating out, they should make sure food is "piping hot".
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 5 battery replacement offered by Apple
36-year-old skeleton of dead baby found inside Indian woman
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
Postpartum psychosis: How Jessica Pidsley was driven to the edge by the rare illness
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- 5 Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >
Flexible for the right candidate: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: I have a fa...
£500 - £700 per day: Harrington Starr: Calypso Developer Calypso, J2SE, XML, ...
£35000 - £36000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A market leading financia...
£250 - £350 per annum + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is cur...