Schoolgirl with swine flu dies
A schoolgirl has died after contracting swine flu. The girl, from Slough, Berkshire, tested positive for the H1N1 virus, and was being treated at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, London.
She died there on 11 November, NHS Berkshire East confirmed.
A spokesman said: "NHS Berkshire East extends its sympathies to the child's family, friends, school and community at this time.
"We are working with the Thames Valley Health Protection Unit and the relevant local authority to ensure the right support and advice is in place."
A spokeswoman for Slough Borough Council said the girl attended a school in Slough, but would not say if she was at primary or secondary school.
News of the girl's death was revealed on the day the Government announced that healthy children between the ages of six months and five years old are to be offered the swine flu vaccine.
Life & Style blogs
Three in every four British men will be overweight by 2030, says World Health Organisation
Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
High school in Texas with no sex education policy is dealing with chlamydia outbreak
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Boston Marathon runner's search for mystery man she kissed ends with letter from his wife
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 3 Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
- 4 How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
- 5 Chinese theme park sets up 'death simulator' where volunteers can experience being cremated
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Project Coordinator (Software Dev...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...
£40000 - £48000 per annum + bonus + benefits: Ashdown Group: International Acc...