Schoolgirl with swine flu dies
A schoolgirl has died after contracting swine flu. The girl, from Slough, Berkshire, tested positive for the H1N1 virus, and was being treated at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, London.
She died there on 11 November, NHS Berkshire East confirmed.
A spokesman said: "NHS Berkshire East extends its sympathies to the child's family, friends, school and community at this time.
"We are working with the Thames Valley Health Protection Unit and the relevant local authority to ensure the right support and advice is in place."
A spokeswoman for Slough Borough Council said the girl attended a school in Slough, but would not say if she was at primary or secondary school.
News of the girl's death was revealed on the day the Government announced that healthy children between the ages of six months and five years old are to be offered the swine flu vaccine.
Life & Style blogs
Charlie Charlie Challenge: how to banish the demon from your Facebook and Twitter news feed
World first as scientists use cold sore virus to attack cancer cells
British people have become 'internationally renowned' for having 'really lousy' teeth
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
'Paracetamol Challenge': Police and teachers issue warning to parents over social media craze
- 1 I was raped by another man. And now the Government wants to take away the one thing that saved my life
- 2 Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
- 3 Priest warns pupils the 'Charlie Charlie Challenge' is 'demonic activity'
- 4 Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£30 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Software / Web Developer (PHP / MYSQL) i...
£18 - 20k + Benefits: Guru Careers: An Account Executive is needed to join one...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Software Developer / Software Engineer i...
Voluntary and unpaid, reasonable expenses are reimbursable: Reach Volunteering...