Schoolgirl with swine flu dies
A schoolgirl has died after contracting swine flu. The girl, from Slough, Berkshire, tested positive for the H1N1 virus, and was being treated at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, London.
She died there on 11 November, NHS Berkshire East confirmed.
A spokesman said: "NHS Berkshire East extends its sympathies to the child's family, friends, school and community at this time.
"We are working with the Thames Valley Health Protection Unit and the relevant local authority to ensure the right support and advice is in place."
A spokeswoman for Slough Borough Council said the girl attended a school in Slough, but would not say if she was at primary or secondary school.
News of the girl's death was revealed on the day the Government announced that healthy children between the ages of six months and five years old are to be offered the swine flu vaccine.
The Independent's live blog of today's Premier League action
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Teaching Assistants needeed in Bury...
£100 - £150 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1 Supply Teacher re...
£140 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS2 Supply Teacher r...
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1 Teacher required,...