Summer of disability woe: Parents of disabled children pay average surcharge of £5 an hour, research shows
Sunday 01 September 2013
After spending hundreds of pounds on childcare over the summer holidays, millions of working parents cannot wait for school to restart this week.
But new research shows that the parents of disabled children have been particularly hard hit, having to pay up to £1,200 extra for childcare over the summer.
Such parents effectively pay an average surcharge of £5 an hour for their childcare, according to the report by the charity Working Families.
The average cost of childcare this summer broke the £100 per week threshold for the first time – reaching £109. This means that working parents have spent up to £650 for each child. Those with disabled children could have paid an extra £1,200 on top.
The expense of childcare and shortage of places is "having a profound impact on families and their ability to work", concludes the report, which is based on a survey of almost 200 parents,
Sarah Jackson, chief executive of Working Families, added: "We don't think parents should be charged more, simply because their child is disabled."
Life & Style blogs
Revenge porn: What is it – and how big is the problem?
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Windows 10: Microsoft bypasses 'Windows 9' to unveil new operating system
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£100 - £125 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Would you like to work in ...
£50 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN Teaching Assistant EBD , Septemb...
£50 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN Teaching Assistant We are curr...