Swine flu rate drops as 52-year-old dies of virus
Friday 28 August 2009
The number of new cases of swine flu is continuing to decline, the Government said yesterday, the day another man died from the virus.
The 52-year-old, who had "significant" underlying health problems, died in Edinburgh's Western General Hospital, bringing Britain's H1N1 death toll to 66. Sir Liam Donaldson, the chief medical officer for England, said: "It still remains the case that this disease is not a killer but it can kill."
He announced that there were an estimated 5,000 new cases of swine flu in England diagnosed in the past week. That was a continued drop – the previous week there were an estimated 11,000 new cases and a month ago the rate was 110,000.
A total of 218 people are being treated in hospital in England for swine flu, 31 of them in intensive care.
Last week there were 263 in hospital, with 30 sufferers in intensive care. The first vaccinations of people in at-risk groups – such as those with asthma and diabetes – are expected to take place in October.
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Life & Style blogs
Hipster hate is everywhere - but is there a little bit of them in all of us?
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Scottish independence live: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum - as it happened
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
£1 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Job Purpose To work closely with the he...
£32000 - £42000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...
£27000 - £31000 Per Annum Excellent Benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...