Three-year-old Samuel Starr died in his parents' arms after ‘computer glitch’ at hospital
Monday 03 March 2014
A three-year-old died in his parents’ arms at a hospital that has been heavily criticised over its paediatric cardiac services after an apparent computer glitch meant he missed vital check-ups, an inquest has heard.
Samuel Starr had heart surgery when he was nine-months old at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children and was thought to have been recovering well.
But a new computer system at a second hospital, the Royal United in Bath, failed to generate appointment slots for him and he did not receive follow-up treatment for 20 months.
By the time he was seen, he was judged to need further surgery but suffered complications after that procedure and suffered a stroke and cardiac arrest, the inquest in Flax Bourton, near Bristol, heard.
Ben Peregrine, the speciality manager for paediatrics at the RUH, in Bath, said: “Samuel’s appointment request must have fallen through the cracks between the old and new system.”
Samuel’s inquest, which continues, is the fourth in a series of hearings examining deaths of young heart patients at hospitals in Bristol.
Life & Style blogs
Penis size study: what's 'normal' anyway?
What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
The big fresh food con: Alarming truth behind the chocolate muffin that won't decay
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
From criminal to catwalk: Convict Jeremy Meeks wins modelling contract in the most unusual fashion scouting – behind bars
£13000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join ...
£14500 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An IT Help Desk Support individ...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are going through an excitin...
£37500 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced Quantity Surveyor r...