Virus halts hospital computers
A computer virus has shut down the entire computer system at three London hospitals, trust officials confirmed today.
The bug infected the system at St Bartholomew's (Barts) and The London NHS Trust - which is made up of Barts in the City, the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel and The London Chest Hospital in Bethnal Green - on Monday at noon.
Attempts to fix the problem overnight failed and a team of engineers has been formed today to get the Trust back online.
A spokesman for the Trust said that while emergency procedures had been activated to keep key clinical systems operating safely he could not yet say whether patient care or the day-to-day running of the hospital had been affected.
Geoff Martin, of campaign group Health Emergency, said: "This was a disaster waiting to happen and it calls into question the billions of pounds committed to NHS computerisation for a system that has fallen at the first hurdle."
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Kim Kardashian recreates iconic Jean-Paul Goude naked 'Champagne Incident' photo
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist's birth
- 1 Universities aren't working us hard enough, say undergraduates
- 2 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well-established and growi...
£29500 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...
£32500 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Electronic Engineer is requi...