How to be happier at work, without changing jobs
Wednesday 09 February 2011
Unhappy in your job? News website BusinessNewsDaily reported on Febuary 7 strategies to change that, without having to change your job.
If you're suffering while on the clock, you're in good company. A recent poll in the UK cited over 20 percent of office workers are dissatisfied with their work, while 52 percent of Americans say they are unhappy with theirs, according to an annual Conference Board survey.
Also, last month the Legatum Institute released its 2010 index ranking happiness in 110 countries (covering 90 percent of the world's population) on a variety of scales, including economy, work, health, and personal freedom. The results revealed that unless you're living in Norway, Denmark, Finland, or perhaps Australia, you might have a few complaints about your life in general.
The BusinessNewsDaily article reports that it's not our work that makes us miserable, it's how we cope with our feelings of boredom, perfectionism, or stress that are all part of the day-to-day package. Here are a few tips to help change that, culled from a new book titled Fit Soul, Fit Body: 9 Keys to a Healthier, Happier You by authors Brant Secunda, a spiritual healer, and Mark Allen, world champion Ironman:
1. Stand up and move around - Get up to have a face-to-face with a coworker, walk around at lunchtime - anything to keep your body active and energized.
2. Embrace the boredom - If repetitive tasks leave you numb with boredom, take a tip from a top athlete who trains every day for hours at a time: chipping away at small tasks can be a powerful way to reach your financial and professional goals.
3. Change your routine - Try working 8 AM to 4 PM rather than 9 AM to 5 PM, if possible, or rearrange your desk. Make calls instead of e-mailing.
4. Stop procrastinating for five minutes - If you're putting off a large project with a looming deadline, start small. Commit to working on it for just five minutes, and take it from there.
5. Go out to lunch - Take a break, and keep your body well fed and hydrated throughout the day. Keep a large bottle of water at your desk and sip it all day to keep you feeling refreshed and energized.
6. Live in the moment - Let go of perfectionism by doing the best you can right now, despite what else might be going on in your life. "Instead of focusing on absolute perfection, make the goal to give the best you can in the moment, even if you know on another day it might be better," states the article.
Read the full article here: http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/be-happier-and-healthier-at-work-10-strategies-to-try-0971/
A few more articles with tips:
Learn more about the world's happiest countries: http://www.prosperity.com/
Try one of these resolutions for happiness from New York Times best-selling author Gretchen Rubin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5rpNEmqPdM
Actress isn't a fan of Ed Miliband
Do you qualify – and how do you get it?
Life & Style blogs
New £3 pill that will help stop you drinking too much available on the NHS
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Revealed: Lidl’s £4 perfume smells identical to Chanel’s £70 scent - but the difference is in the bottle
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
- 1 Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
- 2 Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 5 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Junior Carpenter / Carpentry ...
£65000 - £90000 per annum + £150k ote: h2 Recruit Ltd: An award winning innova...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They supply 5,500 customers in the North...
£40000 per annum + benefits: Langley James : Senior Infrastructure Engineer; V...